Friday, November 28, 2008

A word about Twilight

I admit it. I love the series of books and the movie Twilight. Why? Who knows. I'm a Master of Arts student in political science doing a public policy thesis on nursing. I've been in the military, a civil servant (now retired) and have worked in the private sector as well. This is something COMPLETELY different for me. I enjoy all the hype that has been generated around the movie - love the capitalist marketing machine. It's a prime example of making something out of not much, not to say that the movie is irrelevant. Our lives must be at some kind of low level if we thrive on this stuff, but here I am admitting that I am enjoying it all. I have to laugh at all the magazine articles about Rob Pattinson and Kristin Stewart and the other cast members, who are probably horrified at some of the things that get written. The hype machine. But I'm all for entertainment and I enjoy the soundtracks of movies when they introduce new material. I'm enjoying the Paramore and Muse music, as well as Rob Pattinson's songs. And I say to my friends, there was no swearing and less sex than one would see on afternoon television. Bravo. I've gotten so that I just don't go to movies any more - I'm done with war, horror, chase, shootemup, etc. It leaves me with little but foreign movies and Twilight. And it's nice to watch a love story, even when the stars are younger than my kids. I may just go for the third time.

No comments: