Friday, November 7, 2008

Fat percentages in "optimal" diet still not settled

We know that the amounts of fat and carbs in the optimal healthy diet has not been settled. Dr. Walter Willett of Harvard Department of Nutrition says, "(W)e have found virtually no relationship between the percentage of calories from fat and any important health outcome. But what does seem important is the type of fat and the form of carbohydrate." (Harvard World Health News) He goes on further to explain how the message of substituting unsaturated fat for saturated fats got mixed up with substituting carbohydrates for fats. What's more controversial is when he says that the view that all complex carbs are good is not substantiated by any data, and is inconsistent with historical knowledge that the type of fat is a critical factor.

I personally have gotten fat by eating lots of carbs, thinking they were "OK". My friend lost 60 pounds on a low carb diet and I thought she was crazy. She pointed me to Gary Taubes' book "Good calories, Bad calories" and I learned a bit about endocrinology and have been researching more. I now try to stay away from potatoes, rice, bread, crackers and sugary things. I've had good success and have been able to reduce my metforming dose. I am careful about what kind of fats I eat and stay vigilant with saturated fats. I must admit I eat a lot of eggs.

When you learn more about how your body works, you wonder how you have gotten by all these years. I am looking at endocrinology texts now, and reading sources like medical journals. Of course there is a lot of money to be made (and has been made) from low fat foods. Obesity will cost health systems lots in the future until the message changes from Heart Associations and nutritionists.

2 comments:

David Brown said...

You might want to take a closer look at saturated fat. Evidence linking saturated fat intake to clogged arteries is, at best, circumstantial because it all hinges on the assumption that because saturated fat (and that's only a certain few kinds of saturated fat) can raise LDL cholesterol, then it must increase the risk of heart attack.

I suggest you Google "saturated fat truth benefits" or visit my blog at http://nutritionscienceanalyst.blogspot.com/

David Brown
Nutrition Education Project

ShawneeL said...

Yes, sat fats are often pointed at. It's looking more and more like inflammation is the culprit, caused by insulin levels and other chemicals we consume.